Tanzra was cast down into the underworld following his defeat in ActRaiser by the Master. Tanzra's demonic followers captured the body of their slain leader and, over thousands of years, eventually resurrected him. Now, with Tanzra and his thirteen demonic leaders threatening the world, the Master must join battle against the forces of darkness once again, with all new powers and abilities.
There are three difficulty levels that can selected. Enemies are worth more points in harder difficulties, but score isn't used for any in-game purpose.
- Easy: The Master begins an Act with 5 lives and 5 MP. Enemies will have less HP.
- Normal: The Master begins an Act with 3 lives and 3 MP.
- Hard: The Master begins an Act with 2 lives and 3 MP. Enemies will have more HP.
The Master can visit any location at any time, as long as the plot permits. Most areas contained in smaller groups of two to three locations, and the Master usually has to clear one before he can access the other, similar to the Act>Sim>Act format of the first ActRaiser, just without the "Sim" part. There are no level or power requirements, but there is a loose progression in terms of difficulty. The Master's Angels will generally point him to the next location that requires his direct intervention.
Lovaous takes place entirely in the Palace.
The Tower of Souls will only be revealed after the Master has cleared all other areas.
Items are found in Light Orbs that must be slashed apart. Slain enemies may drop small HP and MP Orbs. While the Master cannot go over his maximum HP (20), He can obtain more MP than he started an Act with, but no more than 10. MP over the maximum alloted by the difficulty will disappear at the end of an Act.
Each casting of a magic ability consumes 1 MP.
- Earth Force
- Fire Ball
- Flame Tongue
- Force Bolt
- Frost Burst
- Lightning Bolt
- While it is normally assumed that ActRaiser 2 is a sequel to the original, there are some suggestions that it may in fact be a prequel.
- ActRaiser 2 is notable for featuring minor nudity in a Super Nintendo game including the naked angel icon by the text. Also in the final level Death Heim, there are dead fighters that can be seen with their buttocks exposed. It's unknown how nudity slipped in past the Nintendo censorship.